Monday, December 29, 2008

Final post for 2008.........................................

As 2008 draws to an end I feel like I have finally surrendered to it.

A week and a half before Christmas six out of seven of us got a bad, bad bug. This was two days after I decided to paint the living room, one week before our scheduled resident Christmas party. Of course the painting got thrown off course and wasn't finished (as planned) before (my) Mister had to take some time off for a hernia repair (I know. Why would anyone schedule voluntary surgery two weeks before Christmas? He has kept putting it off and I INSISTED that he do it before the end of the year since it takes us until June to meet our insurance deductible and I didn't want to have to pay out of pocket in January simply because he wouldn't make a few phone calls)

Of course, surgery went well (doc says he could run three weeks status post. I ask just in case since (my) Mister hasn't actually ran a step since the Marathon a year ago October... I believe in miracles), everyone was well for the party and had a great time singing along with my friends that came and played the guitar and banjo. Ya it was the week after the party that the living room was completely painted (the old me would have never stood for this. The new me was completely cool with it), but so what? Christmas day came and went without a hitch, the tree is packed away and my living room looks just like I pictured it (minus some art work I plan to commission to finish it off). Life is good.

What I discovered a-new the last few weeks was that the more I tried to control circumstances and plan things the more out of control and scattered I feel. If I focused on staying in the moment and letting things play out, life seems to unfold not only effortlessly, but just the way I wanted it to. Everything gets done, everyone is happy, and I get a surprise or two along the way. It really is easier to just go with the flow rather than fight to get upstream against the current.

So why is it, that even as I write that there is a part of me that knows I will be fighting a current of two come 2009? I know that my life is going the way it is suppose to. I know that all of my needs will be met and that I will also be blessed with much more than basis needs. I know that life lessons will present themselves and it is up to me to learn them now or wait to learn them the next time they show up. I know that learning them now would be best for my growth and yet I am under no pressure to do so.

Just to prove that point I have been coasting the last few days, hanging out, reading for pleasure, kicking back and relaxing. Things I normally don't do. It has been good for me, and everyone around me has seemed to survive it as well. Imagine that!

So in gratitude I say "So long 2008, you were good to me and for me," and "Welcome 2009. Can't wait to see what gifts and blessings you have in store for me." Bring it on...

6 comments:

Lena said...

Great post, Patty. I felt a calm and peaceful feeling while reading it.

Happy New Year!!!

Lena

Patty said...

Calm and peaceful... Now there is a good mantra for the coming new year!

May you and your family receive many blessings and much happiness in the coming year Lena.

I am grateful for your friendship.

Anonymous said...

Good for you and I am glad to hear all of you are doing much better. KJ and stopped by during the epidemic and I am greatful that Mister took a moment from painting to tell us what was going on and to usher us out! Would have loved to see you, but not to have gotten ill! Best wishes for the New Year-calm and peaceful is a good mantra. Take care. (ORA)

Patty said...

Santa brought all of us snowy weather clothing for our up and coming ski trip. I also put in a request for no shoveling for you during the time you are filling in for us, unlike last winter.

I was sorry to miss a visit with the two of you, but trust me when I say you did not want to get what we got.

Talk to you soon.

Happy New Year to the three of you. My predicition for you is that this is the year our little miss KJ is going to find the love she deserves. I think she is ready to receive the good without the bad aftet the lessons of the past few years!

Random Musings said...

YEah for a new year!! I am excited too.. bring it on

Patty said...

Was thinking about you yesterday as I ran Random. Have you had the opportunity to try out the Yax Trax? After my two weeks off for sickness/Christmas rush it feels good to be back running. We have a race planning in Tampa the first weekend in March if you are interested in joining us. There is a cruise following the race, just in case you need further motovation!