Tuesday, December 09, 2008

12-10-08 is "Call in Gay Day"........................................

Have you heard of this day? I don't really know the details of how it originated, but to show support to same sex unions one is to call in sick to work and not spend any money, or any portion of the two that they are able to do. The nature of my business means I will be performing basic care for my OPs, but I am not doing the home care job and I will not be spending money on this day.

The biggest reason I am supporting this idea?

I put gay marriage rights in the civil liberties category. Yes! It is that simple...

So, in conjunction with the defeat of the CA law recognizing gay marriage I heard something (again, sorry about no real details) that there is some state that is trying to make it illegal for a gay person to be a foster parent.

I try not to be too political and truly believe everyone should be allowed to make decisions about their lives for themselves, but we must speak up for the children.

For whatever reason, and most often the reason involves both physical and emotional pain, foster kids end up in a system that is not equipped to handle their needs effectively. Due to a situation that I will not talk details about I learned that in my school district there is not ONE foster parent. Not one! This means that any kids needing to be removed from their homes in my area will also be removed from their school district. So you are telling me if there was a man or woman out there willing to help out a child, and able to pass all the requirements of becoming a foster parent the people wanting this law passed would rather see this child go into a broken system instead of a loving environment because of sexual preference?

If I were a foster parent I doubt I would be sharing my sex life with any foster children, and believe the same would be true for anyone with a same sex preference. Why the need for a distinction between the two, especially considering that most of the children that a person would be fostering would have seen much more graphic crap than a person's sexual preference or they probably wouldn't be in the system in the first place. Right?

The other thing I must mention in support of same sex unions is also pretty simple. Look at the divorce rate of heterosexual couples. We have done a pretty good job of screwing up marriage, making a joke out of intended life-long commitments when the marriage doesn't even last a year. Compare this to a same sex couple that has no legal binds and yet manage to stick together and work things out for years and years while fighting for the simple right of having their love and commitment recognized as valid. I for one think that those of us that jump from union to union might just have a thing or two we could learn from these couples.

Lastly, I understand that people have interpreted the Bible to say that same sex unions is a sin. I am not here to argue religion with those of you that believe this way. I am only offering up for your mature consideration the possibility that the main theme of the Bible is love and acceptance and love can express itself in a wide variety of form. Stop and consider if you are feeling loving towards another human being no matter what the circumstances of the situation and I think the gap to mutual understanding will decrease considerably no matter what the topic is.

Nough said...

2 comments:

The Girl Next Door said...

Your so cute!

I don't have money or a job... so no calling sick for me! LOL

Don't get me started on the gay adoption ban, there are WAY to many children in this world who have no love. I don't care WHO loves them as long as they know love from a caring responsible adult who truly DOES love them! Don't all children deserve that?

As for the whole big scope, I never believed being gay was a choice, there is scientific evidence that is it is not. Therefore, I never understood God does not like gays because.... he made them that way? What? Is it like a cake that falls while baking becuause you ran out of baking powder and you can't serve it... well I personally eat it, tastes the same and I can't help but think God feels the same way!

I love all people, some a whole lot less then others admittedly but I judge those on who they are not what they are!

Patty said...

LOVE the cake analogy t`girl. I may have to borrow it from time to time.

Love your other thoughts too. Thanks for sharing them.