Thursday, October 23, 2008

Follow up to the last post.....................

As you might recall, I made a visit to the wife of the man in the yellow house, and discovered that I am known as Fred's mom.

Last weekend, I was returning home from a run and the man in the yellow house was chatting with the neighbor to the right of us. Being on the right of them there was no way to avoid an encounter, but I will be honest enough to admit to trying to figure out how I might do so.

I opted to go for a pleasant nod and smile and just as I felt the distance between us was appropriate to do so I looked up and the man in the yellow house was coming toward me. Me? Panic? Okay. Just a little... What could he want?

What he wanted was to share with me how much it meant that I had offered assistance to his wife and how much he appreciated my offer. And then, right there in the middle of our block the man in the yellow house and I hugged. From the heart! WOW!

He went on to ask if we could use some squash that had been very prolific in his garden. Reciprocal helpfulness between the two of us? See why I believe in miracles?

But ya, I am not perfect yet. I went home to share the encounter with the family and that imperfect part of me had to ask, "Are you sitting down? You will never believe what just happen" before sharing with them. And two days later, when Fred was trying to get out the door, informed him that while the man in the yellow house had given us squash he would still probably want to trap him if he went in his yard.

Do you think? Or is my weak faith in people's ability to change the issue at hand?

5 comments:

The Girl Next Door said...

I'm thinking he may have had a wake-up call about priorities and should Little Fred decide to visit he may be shoed away but not so adimently... however I am not sure I would take a chance! LOL Of course now that he KNOWS Fred, without a doubt, one assumes he would just return him home should he find him in one of his traps... however... agian.... not sure if I would take that chance. I am all for thinking possitive, turning over new leaf etc but... not that brave! LMAO You know though, I am wondering if during the fiasco is when they were realizing that his wife was sick again and maybe he was acting out of character then? Who knows, either way I think it is nice that he was able to accept the blessing you offered and you offered the blessing in the first place. Many times it is the fact that we OFFER that truly touches someone not the fact we actually do something besides this in this type of situation. Of course if called upon one SHOULD follow through with their offer, anything else is poppycock!

Patty said...

Thanks T`girl.

Actually it is him that has cancer so I have been chalking SOME of his behavior up to fear. That being said, fear is NOT a license to be cruel to animals (or people).

I even think this is true for me. My ego, on the other hand, fights me on it from time to time, but with continued work I know I can take her.

Anonymous said...

That was wonderful!! I think maybe he did some soul searching too OR his wife informed him YOU were nice to her so he should play nice too! (ORA)

Patty said...

But I just can't seem to relax about the whole cat trapping thing. I accidentally (on purpose) let Fred out this morning at 5:30 AM but when he hadn't returned by 9:00 (when I was on my way to get the newspaper) and saw T.M.I.Y.H. out racking leaves I turned and snuck back in the house just in case he has Fred trapped. I could not face the possibility before heading out to do home care. It wasn't that I was worried about Fred, but that I didn't want to have a negative encounter with the above said man.

Fred was home when I returned early in the afternoon so I guess I freaked for nothing. Maybe time will calm my nerves.

The Girl Next Door said...

Hum, a thought I have been having regularly lately as I work through some of my emotions... how one re-acts to their own fears. I am working on it, I am working on it! LOL