Thursday, June 05, 2008

The power of now..........................

I know you must all be getting sick of me and my chatter about the changes in my life since discovering Eckhart Tolle. Even I have had a moment or two where I thought I might be off my rocker for taking something so in stride that used to blast me from zero to rage in ten seconds or less. If I am getting too Pollyanna for you I will understand you skipping out on this blog for a while.

With my first disclaimer out of the way, I next have to say that details will be sketchy because my story has to do with a resident and I want to respect the privacy rights.

Okay. I think I am ready to share...

There has been a situation brewing with a resident for a couple of weeks now, that mostly has to do with me being at a point of questioning my ability to care for her from a safety aspect, being that I am a staff of one.

In the last couple of weeks of consciously practicing being present/ in the now, I have caught myself in mind chatter on a regular basis. Yesterday I found this going on about the resident situation. Instead of being in the now I was worrying about the future. Her safety, my potential loss of income, blah, blah, blah. Projecting into a future that had not happen was not helping the situation so I had a very in the now conversation with (my) Mister and told him it was time to share my concerns with the family and see what happen.

I dialed the phone vowing to stay open and present to whatever came up.

Of course I got voicemail... But you know what? I hung up the phone and went and read a book. I didn't revert back to my old habit of ruminating on the problem, and/or potential solutions. In that moment I didn't have a problem, I only had a book to enjoy.

Now for the really cool part...

While I was reading my book, and then taking a bike ride with my youngest a solution presented itself to us. I am not sharing the details, but I will say it is not anything that would have ever occurred to me in a thousand years and yet it appears it is the exact perfect answer for everyone involved. I am amazed, thrilled, and grateful beyond belief.

With results like this how can I NOT be all caught up in the power of now? It is much easier than all the emotional drama I used to call my life, not to mention MUCH less stressful!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

And in my defense for the above post topic, I want to tell you that when I was sitting in the hot tub last night the tiniest, most perfectly shaped leaf fell into the water with me and I was planning on taking a picture of it to share with all of you but I couldn't find it this morning so I had to come up with a new post idea.

If it turns up...

1 comment:

The Girl Next Door said...

I am doing better with this but I still have my "moments!" For the most part though I am much better 95% of the time. No more "harping" in my mind, or at least if I do it is tollerable. Seriously no one likes to live with a nag and it is even worse when it is YOURSELF! Talk about a pain, how do you get away from that?