Wednesday, May 05, 2010

"Don't come from your history, come from your imagination"........

This is a quote that came my way several days ago that rings very true for me. When I was in foster care, the one thing I was sure of was how I DID NOT want to parent. Shortly after I married I spent time with a woman that had two small children and it was easy to imagine mothering my kids just as she mothered hers. When I shared with her how she was my role model she expressed thoughts of feeling like she didn't do that good of job as a parent. Proof positive we all have our own perspective about joint experiences, and we take what we need, the way we need it from those experiences.

Most of us have graduated from the school of hard knocks. Some of us have had a few refresher courses over the years. In these cases if we approach life from our history it may limit the fullness of our lives. If we choose to overlook a negative past experience and imagine the best possible outcome, we stand a good chance of having just that. After all, what do we have to lose?

So what is the history that you hide behind? How do you let yourself off the hook because of something horrible that happened in the past? What is it causing you to miss out on in the present? Think about it...