Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The kindness of a stranger......................................

I know it has been a while since I last posted, but this gift was meant to be shared as a perfect thing to give thanks for around the dinner table tomorrow.

A few months back I started being a hospice volunteer for a family with three (tweenish aged) children. Last September was the first time I threw a football in years but I tell you within a couple of weeks I was spiraling that bugger with the greatest of ease (just like riding a bike). Let me also say that I haven't a clue about computer war games, but it is enough that I just sit and watch so my lack on knowledge in that area has not been a problem so far.

Anyway, on last Monday's visit the plan was to make pies for the holiday. One of the girls wanted to have a pie to take to their celebration at school the following day and I had not brought the ingredients to make another one but told her we could run to the store and get fake/frozen pie crust and canned filling if she wanted to.

When we arrived at the store I discovered I had left my purse at home. YES! My life has been that crazy lately! What to do?

Not wanting to disappoint I told the girls to wait in the car (smaller town than the one I live in, and they ARE old enough) and I went inside and ask to talk to the manager. I explained to her that I had promised to help this child make a pie, had forgotten my purse, and was there some way she could float me a loan until the following afternoon when my husband got off work (he drives right by every day as part of his 50 minute commute). She said, "Sure. I can do that." After giving her a hug and many blessings, I went out and got the girls, we got the goods, and were on our way home in no time at all.

Back in the car, one of the girls ask me what I had said to the woman to get her to help us out. After I told her she said, "Man. I would never have the guts to do that." Which gave me a perfect in to share my belief that one should always ask/go for what they want because being told no is never the worst thing in the world and people will often surprise you by stepping up to help when you think your chances are slim to none.

So folks, listen up. It may appear that times are economically hard right now, and I am positive that the $12.00 that woman loaned me would have been felt had I not repaid her. SHE DID IT ANYWAY. I am not advocating that you take this story as license to spend money foolishly, or that you absolutely should put your change into every Salvation Army bucket you pass this season. What I am advocating is that you listen to your heart and if it prompts you to share something you have received with another then do so with without fear and without worrying that it will cause you lack. The best way to gain abundance is to practice gratitude by sharing what you have already been given.

I hope this story warms your soul and sets the tone for your holiday season. May your blessings be many and may your cup be filled to the brim with all your true hearts desire. Practice gratitude and give thanks, tomorrow and every day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!! Yes I was worried what had happened to you. I look forward with much anticipation to your posts! It is a great thing that you are doing for this family. Have a blessed holiday season. Love ya' (ORA)

Patty said...

Never fear, I am too cranky to have something bad happen to me.

A certain someone moved out on Saturday, and then Monday I got a call for an emergancy hospice placement who arrived 2 hours after the initial contact. Complete confirmation for me that I need to continue forward with my plan to transition from full time residents to hopsice and/or respite residents.

The hospice resident passed last evening so she will be giving thanks with her husband in heaven this year which was her greatest wish!

Happy Thanksgiving,

Love and blessings to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Nice story Patty.. thanks for sharing. When living in London one encounters SO many rude, inconsiderate people. And that changes you, if you don't pay attention. It's nice to see that people are still NICE and I shall continue to believe in the good in people first and foremost.

Patty said...

Being the kind spirit you are Dee I imagine it may be part of the reason you landed in such a rude city. We often don't get to see who and how our kindness affects others when we are out in a crowd but it doesn't make it less important. Keep being you.

Your world is a better place with you in it.

Random Musings said...

Thanks for sharing patty.. Thats a great story...

Sort of along the sames lines, I was at walmart the day before thanksgiving and the place was a zoo, there was a lady in front of me with a list of things and she was checking them off as they went through, paying close attention to the prices and the total amount. She had a couple of blouse at the end and when the cashier told her the balance she said to take off the blouses she did not have enought. Not sure why I offered because I often fear people will be rude to me, but I told the cashier to ring them on my bill and I would pay for them. I told the lady happy thanksgiving. She looked back at me with tears in her eyes.
Its the small thing, and I was certain she wanted a pretty blouse for thanksgiving dinner....

That night I worked at Red Lobster. I had one of my tables leave me a beautiful note when they left. It made my day

Patty said...

What we reap we sow. It might have originated in the Bible, but I see it as spiritual not religious.

You are a dear, Random. Thanks for sharing your story!